Monday 6 August 2012

House name - suggestions?

We have been in the house a month now and have toyed with a number of names.  Our house is 20 metres away from Cuckamus Common and this name came about because there was:

possibly, a cucking stool: the village pond at the northwest end of Common Road was referred to in 1759 as Cucking-stool pond. Known later as Cuckamus pond, it was filled in c. 1968. (Crossley et al)


Cucking stool or Ducking stool were horrendous to say the least but borrowing the 'duck' I came up with Duck House. Piers told me 'Cuckamus View' was too prosaic. So, I put it out there for name suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Mum suggested 'Duck-Inn Manor', which I quite like. Any other suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to live in Cuckamus Lane until we moved in 1971 - the pond was not "filled in" in 1968 - it was a green grassy area from 1965 at least - with a telephone box !!
    I remember pressing button B to collect unclaimed pennys as a child !!
    The "mormons" used to hold annual religious services on the green as well as annual circuses
    a good name would be Wicken house....

    ReplyDelete