Monday, 6 August 2012

House name - suggestions?

We have been in the house a month now and have toyed with a number of names.  Our house is 20 metres away from Cuckamus Common and this name came about because there was:

possibly, a cucking stool: the village pond at the northwest end of Common Road was referred to in 1759 as Cucking-stool pond. Known later as Cuckamus pond, it was filled in c. 1968. (Crossley et al)


A Cucking stool or Ducking stool were horrendous to say the least but borrowing the 'duck' I came up with Duck House. Piers told me 'Cuckamus View' was too prosaic. So, I put it out there for name suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Mum suggested 'Duck-Inn Manor', which I quite like. Any other suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to live in Cuckamus Lane until we moved in 1971 - the pond was not "filled in" in 1968 - it was a green grassy area from 1965 at least - with a telephone box !!
    I remember pressing button B to collect unclaimed pennys as a child !!
    The "mormons" used to hold annual religious services on the green as well as annual circuses
    a good name would be Wicken house....

    ReplyDelete